Configure Options and Preferences
IMPORTANT: To allow us all to get the same results when we begin to perform adjustments together, we must all ensure that the following settings are selected in our "Project Options" (Project/Setup tab, Edit default options button) and "Preferences" (Project/Tools tab, Preferences button) dialogs:
Project Options - Drawing tab:
- Click the "Draw No Items" button. Then scroll the Items list down to the bottom, and double-click the following items (or select them one at a time and check the “Draw Selected Item” checkbox) to turn them on for drawing in a network drawing: "Latitude/Longitude Grid", "Station Names", "Station Connections", "Station Error Ellipses", "Relative Error Ellipses", "Height Error Bars", and "Height Diff Error Bars".
- In the Draw Connections group, select "Observed Lines".
- In the Scrolling (% of window) group, select the values 5 and 40.
- Set the Grid Spacing values to: Latitude = 0 0 10.0; Longitude = 0 0 10.0.
Project Options - Adjustment tab:
- Computation Type: Select "Adjustment".
- Computation Options: Ensure that the following are checked: "Generate Initial Coordinates", "Optimize Band Width", "Compute Full Inverse", "Re-Transform Obs After 1st Pass" (and the remaining unchecked).
- Set the Default Linear Unit to "m".
- Set the Convergence Criterion to "0.001".
- Set Max Matrix RAM (Megabytes) to "512".
- Set Observation Angle Unit to "DMS".
- Set Maximum Iterations to "5".
- Set Maximum Errors to "64".
- Set Geoid Interpolation Method to "Bi-Quadratic".
- Set the Default Ellipsoid to "WGS 84".
- Set the "XY-Record Projection" to "MTM 10".
Project Options - Statistics tab:
- Check the “Ignore observation standard deviation when sigma record Is used” checkbox (If this is unchecked, the sigma-record variance is added to the square of the observation record standard deviation, and the square root of that sum becomes the standard deviation of the measurement).
- In the Variance Factor group, check all three checkboxes.
- In the Compute Confidence Regions group, check the first three check boxes (and leave the last, "3D Point and Relative" unchecked).
- In the Confidence Levels (10 to 99.999 percent), set all four values to 95.000.
- In the Residual Rejection Type, select "Tau Max".
- Set both Misclosure Flagging Factors to "3.00".
Project Options - Output Configuration tab:
- In the Output Decimal Places group, set the following values (from top to bottom): 1, 4, 6, 6, 6, 10.
- In the Output Options group, uncheck the "Print 3D Residuals as N, E, Up", "Show West Longitudes" and "Print Canadian Order" checkboxes, and check the "Report Unrecognized Records", and "Do Chi-Square Test checkboxes.
Project Options - Output Composition tab:
- In the Print Input Values group uncheck the "Station Data" checkbox.
- In the Print Adjusted Values group, check the "NEO Values", "PLO Values", and "Scale and Convergence Values" checkboxes, and uncheck the others.
- In the Print Adjustment Solution group, check both checkboxes.
- In the Print Misclosures group, check both checkboxes.
- In the Print Residuals group, check the "Enable" checkbox and uncheck the "Rejects Only" checkbox.
- In the Print Geoid Values group, check the "Enable" checkbox.
- In the Print Relative Confidence Regions group, uncheck the "None" checkbox, select the "Connected" radio button, and enter 1000 in the edit box.
Preferences – General tab
- Uncheck the “Disable Grid Spacing Dialog” (you can check this dialog later, but you should see the dialog at least once).
- Uncheck the “Force Wide Output Listings” (wide output listings accommodate long parameter names, but we will use short (12-characters maximum) names only).
- Check the "Auto save Assistant files", and if you are finished with the quick start tutorial, uncheck "Show tutorial when GeoLab opens".
- Check the “Enable Adjustment Summary Dialog” (This tool will be a key part of your residual analysis procedure, so you should always have it enabled).
- Set the "Printer text lines per page" to 60.
- In the "Minimum values to display in adjustment summary" group, set the following values from top to bottom: 3.0, 0.010, 0.010.
Preferences - Data folders tab
- Set the Projects folder (the folder containing your project folders) to your GLProjs folder in your GeoLabPX5 installation folder (e.g. [drive and path to your GeoLabPX5 installation folder]GeoLabPX5\GLProjs\) - you can do this by clicking the "Set to default..." button.
- Set the Geoids folder (the folder containing your geoid files) to your GLGeoids folder in your GeoLabPX5 installation folder (e.g. [drive and path to your GeoLabPX5 installation folder]GeoLabPX5\GLGeoids\) - you can do this by clicking the "Set to default..." button.
Preferences – File Extensions tab
- Leave the settings in this tab as they are.
Preferences – Advanced tab
- In the "Matrix block sizes" group, select 300 for the "Network normal equations" setting, and 30 for the "Coordinate (difference) covariance matrices" setting.
- In the "GeoLab Execution Priority" group, select "Normal" (recommended).